Saturday, September 12, 2009

Three Island Crossing

Every year Glenn's Ferry, Idaho reenacts the three island crossing the first weekend in August. This was also Kuna Days weekend. The night before was there great fireworks display. We stay up a little too late. I didn't get any pictures, but Chris and Birdeena came with their kids. We had a great time.

Glenn's Ferry is the place on the Oregon Trail that the pioneers had to decide to take the Boise route which was much drier or cross the dangerous Snake River. There are 3 islands that they used to cross the river. It was till very dangerous to cross the river. This was the last year of the reenactments. I have been wanting to go for several years, but would always miss the date or something else would come up. So we planned on going since it would be the last chance to see it. Well I guess a lot of other people had the same idea. I had planned that we would get there about 30 minutes prior to the start of the wagons coming down the hill before crossing. I wasn't sure if I could get everyone moving much early since we were up late the night before.

When we arrived at Glenn's Ferry the freeway was backed up with traffic. Glenn's Ferry is a very small town and traffic does not flow very well. I had this bright idea park further back and walk because traffic was moving so slow. My good friend, Gabrielle is from Glenn's Ferry and I had stayed with her and her parents a long time ago and thought that the State Park was much closer than it actually was. We ended up walking about 2 miles with the kids and no stroller. Well to say the least, it was not the best idea. Amy was so grumpy about walking so far and Parker wanted to be carried. Well we didn't even get all the way there when we started seeing people walking back. They said that it was over. Come to find out they started early. What!! I can't believe we came 2 hours for nothing. We decided to keep going and ended up going to the museum and seeing the crossing on a movie. I guess it was better than nothing. I ran into Gabrielle's parents and her sister, which was fun. The kids enjoyed the wagons, buggies and horses. They also had a Tee Pee and tents with people dressed up telling stories. We still had fun, even though we missed what we came for. We ended up eating delicious huckleberry ribs for lunch and shakes. David walked back for the car, which was much better then making the kids walk. When we got home we went to the Fireman's barbecue for Kuna Days. It was a very fun weekend.




1 comment:

Steven said...

oh, man!! I would have been LIVID!! I'm bummed it was there last year, I didn't know that. My great grandpa participated for many years, I would have liked to see it again. Sounds like you made the most of the day.