Monday, June 8, 2009

Big boy bed

A couple of months ago we decided to put up Parker's firetruck bed. His aunt Gigi gave it to him when he was very small. Thanks Gigi, he loves his bed! David was trying to organize the garage so I told him he could set it up in Parker's room. I thought Amy and Parker would have fun playing on it. Parker has been wanting to sleep on it ever since. I have been very resistant because he is a great sleeper and I didn't want to mess that up.

On Friday I gave in and let him sleep in his "big boy bed." He didn't get up and slept all night in his new bed. Since Friday he has taken his naps there and slept in there at night, except once for his nap and once at night, when he wanted to sleep in his crib. Last night he came out of his room and took me to his room and pointed to his crib. I put him in his crib and he went right to sleep. I thought that maybe the fun had worn off, but he is sleeping in there tonight.

I'll give it a good month and then take the crib down. It is nice to let him transition slowly. It worked really well for Amy so we thought we would do the same for Parker. It was also a good motivator to teach Amy to stay in her bed. We would just threaten her that if she didn't stay in her bed we would put her in the crib. We haven't had to do that with Parker, yet. Like I said, the kid loves his sleep. I think he takes after his Daddy. Hopefully this continues and maybe potty training will go this well. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jase had that same bed, and no one was aloud to touch it or he would get very upset. I am glad he is staying in his bed. That can be a tricky transition.

birdeeb said...

Potty training a boy is tough! Speaking of beds...do you still have the princess one? We need to get Amelia in it. Chris is resistant, but she already gets out by her brother helping her. I would like to get her in a regular bed...especially if we want her to fully potty train...she is close, but the crib is a problem. The fire truck bed is really cool.